MAX. ALTITUDE: 6189m
Climb Island Peak, this mountain is tucked away amongst the many striking summits of the Khumbu valley lies a true gem; Island Peak. At first this 6,000m peak seems dwarfed by the vast walls of its 8,000m neighbours but as you approach it begins to make its presence felt. Island Peak is a mountain that takes pleasure in unveiling its secrets slowly.
In order to reach its spectacular summit you are challenged continuously; scrambly rocky slopes, broken glaciers sporting huge crevasses, a steep 200m head-wall and finally a knife-sharp ridge that brings you to the summit. It’s not your average trekking peak but the rewards you experience upon reaching its spectacular summit will empower you for a long time after.
6 Great reasons to climb Island Peak with 360 Expeditions.
1. Itinerary. On the way to Island Peak base camp we will make several acclimatisation climbs to various hilltops surrounding the villages we pass through adhering to the effective mountaineering principle of “climbing high and sleeping low” and getting a bird’s eye view of the stunning Humbug valley. Our Island Peak trek includes extra days to allow for maximum acclimatisation before the summit attempt and a contingency day to allow for bad weather. (21 days UK to UK – a few days longer than most). 360 Expeditions climb Island Peak from base camp. The “high camp”, only 2 hours above basecamp has no water and usually proves to be an uncomfortable night for potential summiteers.
2. Glacier and technical training. We understand that for some of our clients the ascent of Island Peak will be the first time they travel on a glacier. Build into this itinerary is a full day dedicated to teaching you (or refreshing your knowledge) about the ins and outs of glacier travel, use of specialist equipment and ascender (jumar) practice.
3. Leadership. Our guides are mountain professionals. They will have not only climbed Island Peak on numerous occasions (Rolfe is fast approaching his tenth ascent) but many of the peaks you trek past. They are a fountain of local and cultural knowledge and climbing experience adding hugely to your own trekking experience.
4. In country support. The 360 Expeditions local team are simply the best. Imagine trekking to Island Peak with someone who has summited several 8,000 meter peaks and who calls the valleys you pass through home. 360 Expeditions have enjoyed a long standing relationship with our local team and consider each a good friend. We employ the 360 local teams on many other Himalayan expeditions and their high altitude experience and support is second to none. Furthermore our local team will never hesitate to invite you into their homes to not only enhance your experience but to gain an insight into their unique lifestyles, a point which often becomes an expedition highlight.
5. Accommodation on trek. We assure you are staying at the best quality tea houses on your trek into the Khumbu valley. And the best quality tents and camping equipment for your stay at Island Peak base camp. Big 3 man tents are used by 2 people to give you a bit more personal space and more room for your belongings and a thick sponge camping mattress are standard on each Nepal itinerary. Also our dining tent is spacious and our kitchen well-stocked.
6. Meals on the trek. Our policy of providing professional chefs for all our expeditions has been the envy of many trekkers we encounter en-route. No repetitive budget food for our teams but a hugely varied, fresh and filling feast every time you sit down to eat. Our aim is that food should not become a limiting factor when you climb this mountain. Also you won’t be reaching into your pocket every time you want a hot drink. This service is included on the trail, in the lodges and at Island Peak base camp.