MAX. ALTITUDE: 6856m
Climb Ama Dablam one of the most iconic mounts of the Khumbu. The most commonly question asked when standing on the viewing platform at Namche Bazaar is; “What is that mountain!!??” That mountain is Ama Dablam. The queen of the Khumbu. Striking to behold and impossible not to be completely captivated by every single day you walk the Khumbu. This is our objective: to climb to its lofty summit. But in order to do so we want to savour it first, to enjoy its magnificence.
Our acclimatisation on Everest Base Camp and Kala Patthar allow us to see this peak from all angles and to grow familiar with it. Not for us the traditional approach of camping below and making repetitive trudges up to camp one. We acclimatise by experiencing the best of this amazing region before attempting the prize. Only when we are fully ready will we trek to its base camp to begin our ascent following the South West Ridge to attempt the summit.
It is regarded as a 6,000m, Alpine Difficile but the ascent involves every bit of skill and technique a climber can muster. Our chance of success is improved considerably by incredible Sherpa support and fixed lines safeguarding the dangerous ground. We cannot guarantee a summit every time but you will come back having experienced the mountain and this unique part of the world to the fullest. And that is what adventure is all about.
6 Great reasons to climb Ama Dablam with 360 Expeditions.
1. Itinerary. Being in the one place for the duration of an expedition and acclimatising by making repetitive journeys to C1 without actually coming to grips with the objective usually does little for morale. Therefore we spice up the expedition by trekking to Everest Base Camp and climbing Kala Patthar (possibly spending a night on this 5,500m summit). This approach enhances your experience of Nepal and you’ll see the mountains of the Khumbu valley at close range. Additionally you’ll get trekking fit and acclimatised in the process. More-over our Ama Dablam expedition includes extra days to allow for maximum acclimatisation and contingency days to allow for bad weather. (25 days UK to UK – a few days longer than most). Also we have an additional day in Kathmandu after the trek to fully explore the city and absorb its unique culture.
2. Guiding and support team. A 360 Expedition leader is joined by extremely experienced high altitude Sherpa on both the trek and the climb. Their collective experience will not be limited to Ama Dablam as they’ll have climbed many of the peaks you encounter on the way. They know the Khumbu like the back of their hand and are a fountain of local, historical and cultural knowledge adding hugely to your own climbing experience. Furthermore our local team will never hesitate to invite you into their homes to not only enhance your experience but to gain an insight into their unique lifestyles, a point which often becomes an expedition highlight.
3. Weather considerations and optimal climbing conditions: 360 Expeditions conduct our Ama Dablam climbs in the late Nepali Autumn (November – December). This time of the year is colder but the weather is commonly more stable. Also the mountain is less busy and the camps less crowded.
4. Accommodation on trek. We assure you are staying at the best quality tea houses on your trek into the Khumbu valley. We provide quality tents and camping equipment for your stay at Ama Dablam base camp. Our Ama Dablam base camp is fully fitted with a fully stocked kitchen, comfortable dining facilities and luxuries such as round the clock water and snacks. You will have your own tent at base camp.
5. Meals on the trek. Our policy of providing professional chefs for all our expeditions has been the envy of many climbers we encounter en-route. No repetitive budget food for our teams but a hugely varied, fresh and filling feast every time you sit down to eat. Our aim is that food should not become a limiting factor when you climb this mountain. Also you won’t be reaching into your pocket every time you want a hot drink. This service is included on the trail and at the lodges and base camp.
6. Hotel top and tailing expedition. You will be staying in a beautiful hotel surrounded by quiet tropical gardens nestled in the bustling heart of Kathmandu. No need for taxies to and from the fun.